I just watched a kid break down in the bookstore because his books for the semester totaled $600 and that’s the american university system in a nutshell
I was on the verge of tears when I got to the cashier so yeah, that’s messed up
YES. I FOUND THE THING, IF ANYONE DOESN’T HAVE MONEY FOR COLLEGE TEXT BOOKS LIKE ME, THEN GO HERE OKAY?
modern witches though
- witch code monkeys who lace their coding with an enchantment here and there to streamline what the computer can’t do on its own
- sorcerers boosting their network speed by muttering a few words at the router, making the thing glow blue and start whirring alarmingly
- summoners using art programs to lay out their summoning arrays so they never have to worry about drawing a perfect circle freehand ever again
- mages giving their laptop computers emergency power by holding the computer plug in one hand and chanting an energy spell at the metal
- groups of long-distance practicing magic users on skype trying to get their ominous incantations timed JUST perfectly so (and getting pissy at the lag when their bandwidth starts to get filled up)
MODERN WITCHES THOUGH
E-reader grimoires. Illusionists using Photoshop to design their glamers. Powerful casters commanding high prices and respect for their prowess, but giving tea, understanding, and inexpensive alteration spells to people who come to them with body dysphoria. A network of young casters across the globe working to create spells and supply each other with needed ingredients that the elder casters have to search for, because the young are much more comfortable with email.
I think about these things a lot.
if you want to understand the psyche of our generation take a good look at the stories we tell ourselves about the future
because it isn’t flying cars or robot dogs, it’s faceless government surveillance and worldwide pandemics and militarized police brutality and the last dregs of humanity struggling to survive
our generation isn’t self-centered, or lazy, or whatever else they wanna say about us. we are young, and we are here, and we are deeply, deeply afraid.
honeymoon is an interesting term because an actual moon made of honey would imply space bees which is pretty horrifying